The glass mosaics come from the Prague mosaic workshop of Viktor Foerster.
The first mosaic is located above the northern side entrance to the church, the second decorates the main entrance and the third the western facade of the monastery building.
The mosaic above the side entrance represents Jesus Christ and two Benedictine monks. Christ is simultaneously the pilgrim who met his disciples on the road to Emmaus, as the inscription MANE NOBISCUM DOMINE (Stay with us, Lord) suggests. The scene quite faithfully reproduces the fresco made by Fra Angelico da Fiesole in 1441 in the Convent of San Marco in Florence. The Benedictines meet Christ instead of the original Dominicans.
Fra Angelico's art was attractive to the Beuron art school not only because of its aesthetics, but undoubtedly also because the artist himself was a monk, the Dominican Order member.
Other mosaics: both the triumphant Christ above the main entrance to the church and St. Joseph and Child Jesus are original compositions of Beuron art.
Two of the mosaics are dedicated to the abbots of the monastery. St. Joseph‘s mosaic was done "In pious memory of the most worthy lord Benedikt Sauter, Abbot 1885-1908", as the Latin inscription informs in the lower part of the mosaic. Below the Christ and Benedictine monks mosaic, on the left side of the stone portal, an engraved inscription can be read, that is translated as: "This mosaic work commemorates the five five-years priesthood of Mr. Alban Abbot‘s, in 1911, completed happily."
Input your search keywords and press Enter.