The church front courtyard is enclosed by the New Monastery building built in 1929-1930 designed by Bohumil Hübschmann. The ground floor lecture hall served the public for lectures and the internal need of the monastery.
In the 1930s, the monastery organized the so-called Liturgical Weeks, lecture cycles dedicated to a particular topic related to the liturgy. The lectures were given by the Emmaus Benedictines themselves (Abbot Arnošt Vykoukal, Marian Schaller, Metod Klement and Placid Wenzel) together with invited guests and were published at the end of the year as part of the PAX magazine. A morning service in the church of Sts. Cosmas and Damian opened the program, followed by another service in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary; in the early evening, participants were invited to vespers. In the post-war era, the hall served as the main sanctuary for several years. A statue of Our Lady of Montserrat was transferred to the hall due to church bombing and a temporary Marian altar was created.
Input your search keywords and press Enter.